Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Odyssey Adventure Club

I don't know about you, but when I was a kid I loved listening to Adventures In Odyssey! I find that even as an adult with children of my own, I still enjoy listening just as much as I did when I was a kid! As a child, I had a routine of getting my pajamas on, brushing my teeth, and then picking out an Odyssey to listen to. We have begun this same tradition with our own children now...first with our 7 year old and now with our 2 year old. The stories give them something to look forward to at bedtime, and they eagerly pick out a story.



If you haven't heard of Adventures in Odyssey, you're missing out! Most of the stories take place in a small town called Odyssey, with the main character, John Avery Whitaker (or as the kids call him "Whit"). Children are delighted to visit his shop "Whit's End" and visit "The Imagination Station", a creation of his that places children in the middle of a story such as the birth of Jesus, or the story of St. Patrick.

Not all of the stories have to do with the Imagination Station. Sometimes it's just a great lesson about values and friendship, but in any case Adventures in Odyssey were a big part of my childhood, and I'm glad my children can say the same.

So the question is "How can I listen to Adventures in Odyssey?"

Well, when I was a kid, cd's had JUST come out. I mean, a lot of my friends still listened to Adventures in Odyssey on cassette tapes or on the radio. (Which you can still do by the way. Our local radio station still plays them every night). So for quite awhile, my brother and I requested Adventures in Odyssey cd's. For birthdays, Christmas...you name it. We took care of them, but as you can guess, cd's don't last forever. They get scratched and nicked, and sometimes have to be replaced. Unfortunately, they are not cheap to buy. I mean, you do get 4 cd's per set, so it evens out pretty well. But even if I buy them while they're on sale, they don't last forever.

That's why I'm excited about the newest thing from Focus on the Family. It's called Odyssey Adventure Club! For $15 a month you get:
  • Unlimited streaming of Adventures in Odyssey episodes. (There are currently over 700 episodes!)
  • Daily Devotions
  • A behind the scenes look at the production of Adventures in Odyssey
  • A free subscription to Clubhouse magazine! (I received this magazine as a child and I LOVED it!) 
  • Beginning in July, club members will be able to hear a brand new Odyssey story before it's even released! 
$15 may seem like a lot of money, but it really isn't when you think about what your child is benefiting. Think of how much you spend a month on cable tv! My kids would much rather be listening to Odyssey! And think of how much better it is for them! Not only that, but a portion of your payment goes to support other organizations such as Operation Christmas Child and Compassion International! 

And for a limited time, you can join the Odyssey Adventure Club for only $5 for the first month! 

focus on the family adventures in odyssey odyssey adventure club

No comments:

Post a Comment