Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning

This ever frugal momma has found yet another homemade project!

Because I have had extensive food allergies since I was a young child, I keep a close watch of the spices, preservatives and ingredients that my family and I consume. One of my biggest pet peeves is reading an ingredient label, only to have it say "Spices"! Umm, hello? What spices? As an epi-pen carrier, I don't take any chances. If I don't know what it is, I don't eat it. If you hang out with me at all, you know I am constantly asking "What's in this?". :)

So I was thrilled when I figured out how easy it was to make my own taco seasoning! I found a great tutorial here at Heart, Hands, Home!


  • 1 cup minced dry onions
  • 1/2 Cup chili powder
  • 1/4 Cup garlic powder
  • 1/4 Cup cumin
  • 2 Tbsp. oregano
  • 2 Tbsp. salt
  • 2-3 Tbsp. red pepper flakes (optional, add if you like spicy)
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container. 

Use 2-3 Tbsp. of seasoning per pound of meat. The recipe does not say to add water, but I always add about 1/4 Cup with my seasoning. Also, I added 1 1/2 Tbsp. of red pepper flakes to my mix, and it made it pretty spicy. Good, but spicy! I think next time I will add only 1/2 Tbsp. 

For this first batch, I bought all Meijer brand spices, and I'm not sure I saved much money at all. My plan for the next batch is to buy all of the seasonings at Sam's Club and see if there is a huge difference. Also, by buying at Sam's, I will end up with a much bigger batch. 








No comments:

Post a Comment