75 Things I want my daughters to know
1. No boy is worth your tears, because the one who is won’t make you cry.
2. You don’t need to wear makeup to be beautiful. You are beautiful the way God made you!
3. Your daddy and I will always love you no matter what. Always.
4. Sometimes you just need a good cry, and that’s okay.
5. Never be afraid to do the right thing. You won’t regret it.
6. Jesus is the best friend you will ever have. He’s always there to listen and He’ll pick you up when you fall. Learn to trust Him and give your heart completely to Him.
7. I think we both know I am not a fashionista. You may have to recruit your Aunt Cassie in that department.
8. Get back up when you fail. Nothing worth having comes easily.
9. I know this one is tough, and I’ll admit that sometimes I struggle with it too, but it really doesn’t matter what other people think about you as long as you know in your heart that you’re doing the right thing, and that you’re doing what God wants you to do.
10. You really can live happily ever after. It just doesn’t look like what you might expect.
11. You taught me what unconditional love really is.
12. If you don’t want anyone to find out, don’t do it.
13. You can always come home.
14. You will always be my little girl.
15. When you hurt, I hurt too.
16. My body will never look the same after having you and your sister, but I wouldn’t trade it for anything.
17. You’re just as good as any boy. In sports, smarts or anything you put your mind to.
18. Be a Proverbs 31 woman.
19. Smart girls never finish last.
20. Boys will come and go but girlfriends are forever. Don’t let a boy come between your friendship.
21. Your sister will be your best ally in life. Stick together.
22. The first time any guy cheats on you, treats you disrespectfully, or even THINKS about hurting you, will be the last time he ever sees you. Your daddy will make sure of that. Marry someone who treats you with respect, love and kindness and who loves God more than He loves you.
23. You don’t need a boyfriend to make you feel good about yourself. You are beautiful and smart, and the right guy will come along when you are ready.
24. They say girls often marry a guy just like their dad. You’ll love having a husband who loves to make you laugh and takes you to comic book conventions. ;)
25. Don’t listen when the boys say you aren’t allowed to like superheroes. Where would the great Superman be without his Lois Lane?
26. It’s okay to disagree with people. Stand up for what you believe in.
27. Being your mommy is the best job ever.
28. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. (I’m still learning this too.)
29. As much as I try to teach you things, you’ve taught me so much about life and love.
30. You are my favorite reason to lose sleep.
31. Never let anyone steal your Joy. (Something I learned from your Great Grandma Cook.)
32. I love you to the moon and back.
33. If God brings you to it, He’ll bring you through it.
34. A man without God is a man you can live without.
35. God’s timing is perfect. Never forget that.
36. I’m not sure what fashion and trends will look like when you’re a teenager, but tights are not pants. Trust me on this.
37. “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you may go.” Joshua 1:9
38. The book is always better.
39. You are my favorite works of art.
40. I’m sorry if you’ve inherited my thick hair that is impossible to curl. Someday you’ll learn to embrace it….or tolerate it. ;)
41. Don’t do something just because everyone else is doing it. Do the right thing even if it means you’re doing it alone.
42. You are my sunshine.
43. “Her mouth speaks from that which fills her heart.” Luke 6:45
44. You will never be too big for my lap.
45. I love it when you giggle.
46. You put the color inside of my world.
47. Don’t be afraid to say sorry and admit your mistakes.
48. Boys have cooties.
49. It’s ok to have ice cream for breakfast sometimes.
50. God is good. All the time.
51. You will always be your daddy’s little girl.
52. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
53. You are never too old to play dress up.
54. There is always something to be thankful for.
55. If you need me, I’ll always be here. I don’t care if I’m sleeping, sick, or dealing with my own problems…I will always be here for you.
56. Sometimes God doesn’t change your situation because He’s trying to change your heart.
57. Live a life that you wouldn’t be ashamed to tell your dad and I about.
58. Walk the road less traveled….and read Robert Frost
59. Enjoy your childhood. There will be plenty of time for jobs, boyfriends and responsibilities.
60. You aren’t allowed to date until you’re 30. Just kidding, ok maybe 18.
61. Please choose your role models carefully. I’m so happy that at this moment you have no idea who Katy Perry or Lady Gaga is.
62. I will always be your biggest fan.
63. I have no idea if Facebook will still be around when you’re teenagers, but I imagine there will be some sort of social networking. Please don’t facebook your problems. Face them head-on. Some adults still have yet to learn this.
64. You will probably never use algebra in real life but you must learn it anyway.
65. You are beautiful.
66. Don’t try to be like someone else. God made you special and unique, and He has a purpose for you.
67. You can tell me anything.
68. You will never understand quite how much I love you until you have your own child.
69. If you wait for the time to be perfect, it may never happen.
70. Read books.
71. You can’t control how other people act, but you can control how you respond.
72. Always keep God at the center of everything you do and every choice you make.
73. Tomorrow is a new day.
74. You can’t change other people.
75. It always seems impossible until it’s done.
To my daughters, Savannah and Scarlette. I love you.